Captain Lieutenant Egbert B. Savage
Company G, 115th New York Infantry

Showing damage from a 12-pound shell.
From a Carte de Visite
New York State Military Museum.
Used with permission.

Egbert Barnum Savage was 22 years old when he enlisted on in the 115th New York Infantry on 20 August 1862. However, another site lists him as born 2 February 1843, which would have made him 19 years old. Savage joined at Saratoga Springs, New York, although his residence was not listed. He was commissioned as a 1st lieutenant in 'G' Company on 10 September 1862. He was later promoted to captain on 1 November 1862, and then to major on 29 April 1865, although he was not formally mustered into the latter rank. Captain Savage was wounded in action, at Chaffin's Farm, Virginia, on 29 September 1864.

"Major Edgar B. Savage, of Saratoga Springs, Saratoga Co. N.Y., first entered the service in Aug. 1862, as Capt. of Co. G, 115th Regiment, being with one exception the youngest officer in it. He was taken sick at Yorktown, Va., with a fever, and for a long time but little hope was entertained for his recovery. Upon reaching home he received the best care and the most skillful treatment, and was permitted to join his regiment in the department of the south, He bravely commanded his company in 26 battles and skirmishes. At Fort Gilmer, Va., Sept. 29th, 1864, a twelve pound shell from the enemy knocked him senseless, cut the back of his coat, severed his suspenders, and bruised his back badly. Just before the explosion at Fort Fisher, in company with several other officers, he visited a distant part of the fort to examine the work, and thus escaped the effects of that terrible affair. After serving faithfully in the 115th for nearly three years. he was transferred to the 47th N.Y., at Raleigh, N.C., June 17th, 1865. He was recommended for promotion to major." —from The Iron Hearted Regiment: Being An Account of the Battles, Marches and Gallant Deeds Performed by the 115th Regiment N.Y. Vols. - written by 1st Lt. James H. Clark, Company H, in 1865.

Captain transferred out of the regiment on 17 June 1865, and, on the same date joined 'I' Comppany, 47th New York Infantry. He was mustered out of the 47th New York on 30 August 1865, at Raleigh, North Carolina. However, he saw subsequent service in the U.S. Army from 23 February 1866, when he was appointed as 2nd lieutenant and then 1st lieutenant in the 15th U.S. Infantry. He eventually retirement as a lieutenant colonel on 14 August 1899.

At one period during his army career, then Captain Savage served as company commander of Company 'E', 8th U.S. Infantry. In April 1886, he and his company escorted a group of Indian prisioners from Bowie Station, Arizona, to St. Augustine, Florida. The company then returned to Arizona to assist in the pursuit of the Apache chief Geronimo.

Lieutenant Colonel Savage died in Cleveland, Ohio in 1927.

Return to the 115th New York Infantry page.
Battle of Olustee home page.