Henry was a physician from Bowdon, in Carroll County, Georgia, and was son of John B. and Mary (neé Strother) Williams. He was born in Meriwether County, Georgia, 5 August 1834.
His great-grandfather was a native of Ireland and came to America about the middle of the 18th century and settled in Virginia. His grandparents, Samuel and Susan Williams, were born in Virginia, migrated thence to South Carolina, and from there they removed, in 1805, to Georgia and settled in Jones county, moving, as was the fashion and the necessity in those days, in ox-carts.
Dr. Williams' father was born in 1800 in Edgefield district, South Carolina, and came with the family to Georgia in 1805. Dr. Williams was reared and attended school at Rocky Mount, in Meriwether county.
The school was of the "regulation" order of architecture of the period-log house, dirt floor, split-log seats, stick and mud chimney, and square apertures cut through the sides for windows. In 1858, he began the study of medicine, with Dr. M. H. Westbrook being his preceptor, In 1859, he entered the medical college at Nashville, Tennessee, attended one course, and commenced the practice.
In 1861, Dr. Williams enlisted in Company F, Nineteenth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Col. W. W. Boyd, in General Colquitt's brigade. He was in many battles, notably Seven Pines and the seven days fight around Richmond. At the last-named fight he was wounded on the first day and was off duty for ninety days, but immediately on his recovery he returned to his command and participated in the battles of Bunker Hill and Chancellorsville and was afterward. with General Colquitt in Florida in the battle of Olustee, where he was again wounded, this time in the left leg, and disabled for active service.
However, he joined the state militia, with which he remained until the surrender. After that he went to Alabama, where he remained a year and then came to Bowdon and located and established himself in his profession - under license. In 1874, he graduated from Atlanta Medical college. He continued in the practice at Bowdon, where he established a fine reputation and secured a large and remunerative practice. He was the leading physician and the highest medical authority in that locality. Dr. Williams was happily married in 1869 to Miss Cora Hight - born and reared in Carroll County, daughter of William Be and Mary (neé Tolbert) Hight. The marriage was blessed with eight children: Anna, Nora, Paul, Ernest, Ida, Jonnie, Willie and Manzie. Dr. Williams was a royal arch Mason, and he and his wife were members of the Baptist church. Anna.
From the book, Memoirs of Georgia: Historical and Biographical Sketches, published in 1896.